Friday, May 20, 2011

It's Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down on Friday!

Before we get too far into this post, let's all take a minute for a dance party at our desks!



That's right, folks!  Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, which means today is Friday!  And thanks to my fantastic employer, Fridays in the summer mean that I'm a free man at 11:30.  That makes me want to keep the dance party going!



For those from my Hartford crew, I hope this song will always remind you of Sherrie Kapperman in the top row of the old high school gym screaming out "Whoomp!  There it is!" every time someone made a basket.  Good times.

I'm in a decidedly better mood today, partly because of the short Friday, partly because I'm listening to Tag Team, partly because my head cold has moved into my chest, and mostly because I jumped on the scale this morning.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present:
Suck it, Trebek!  I'm not sure how it happened, but you can bet your sweet bippy that I am pretty excited that  I managed to have a huge swing from Monday to today.  I'm even more excited because this tells me that even though I can and will screw up, I'm still dedicated enough to rebound, even when I don't think I am.  Making the right decision is starting to become the easier path.  I want the rice and veggies, and I get angry when I don't get to play basketball.  I binged last week because I was bored and I was tired, but the big thing that I noticed was that it didn't give me the same sense of full that I used to get when I pulled that crap.  This past weekend when I did it, I felt physically full (almost sick), whereas in the past I used to get some kind of spiritual pick up from it.  Eating $10 worth of Taco Bell used to give me a runner's high and filled an emotional void.  This no longer seems to be the case.  I guess it is time to move on to heroin...

Seriously, though, seeing a new "middle" number is something that is super motivating, and while I should have been in the 250's this Friday, my recovery from a slip up lets me know that next week will finally be the week.  I have no plans for the weekend besides resting up and trying to shake this pneumonia, so I have no excuses.  Getting under 260 would be a significant milestone because it would mean that for the second time since 2005 I wouldn't be lying on my driver's license.  I don't know why 260 has always been the number I used, but you better believe that the minute I hit 259 I'm jumping in my car and getting a speeding ticket just so I can point out that my weight listed is a little high.  I'm also going to go to every doctor I've seen in the past year just to make sure they get my charts updated.  Seriously, is there anything more annoying than the condescending way that they weigh you?  As soon as you step off the scale, you know they are thinking, "We probably don't need the doctor to diagnose this one..."  That's probably why every single time I've gone to the doctor they have told me that it is just heartburn and that I should take some Prevacid.  Bronchitis?  Prevacid.  Chronic cough?  Prevacid.  Missing limb?  Just crush up a little Prevacid and rub it on the nub.

Final thought for the day:  If tomorrow really is the Rapture, as is being predicted, it was nice knowing you.  I have a feeling I won't be on the same eternal bus as you and Kirk Cameron.  The following thought popped in my head this morning:  "If tomorrow the world ends, I'm going to be pretty pissed off that I ate salads and black bean burgers all week. Soooooo, I should probably stop by Papa Murphy's so that I can spend eternity with something delicious in my belly."  But then the following song popped on my iPod:



I'm torn between the line "As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" and the title of the song, "Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell".  I suppose I should probably hedge my bets, at least until Saturday is over, and continue to eat like a sheep.  Maybe I'll be able to pull the wool over Someone's eyes.

I'm Baaaaaaah-ck (that's a sheep noise AND a reference to the Terminator becoming the Sperminator),

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment