Thursday, May 19, 2011

Monday 1538: Down With the Sickness

I wish I had good news to post today about my progress, but unfortunately this has been a terrible, horrible, very bad, no good week.  For starters, I forgot to bring my scale with me last weekend to my parents' house, so I didn't have an accurate reading to post on Monday to show off my results.  I barely remember what I did yesterday, but from what I do recall from last week, it wasn't good.  I was pretty energized going into the week, but as the stress of getting stuff ready for my trip and a surprise birthday party on Saturday started to mount, I fell back into old habits.  I very well may have eaten out every single day.  Anyway, I hopped on my mom's scale last Friday and it showed a 4 lb. weight gain, which of course woke me up and drove me to push through the weekend to try to get this back on track.

Just kidding!  Instead, it stressed me out some more, and I ended up eating a footlong sub for lunch, the better part of a family sized pizza for dinner (along with S'mores dessert pizza, which is a product that some evil genius invented to tempt fat people), and about three pounds of goulash for lunch on Saturday.  I tried really hard to limit myself at the party, knowing that I would be getting more than my fair share of calories through liquids.  However, round about my 18th beer, I decided I better sample the pork sandwiches and birthday cake as a form of late night quality control.  After all, I would have hated for someone to get a bad pork sandwich at 3 am.  The party raged on into the wee hours of the morning, and after taking more of a nap than a night's sleep, I woke up and made breakfast pizza for my family and some friends that were staying.  

When I got back in my car to make the 7+ hour trip back to Minneapolis, I was tired and hung over.  I made it about 45 minutes down the road when I convinced myself that the only way I could keep myself awake was to stop at Dairy Queen and order a 1/2 Double Cheeseburger Combo with fries, a Coke, and a medium Blizzard, just in case.  At this point I went from having any common sense and will power to just trying to exist and get my butt back to Minnesota.   I had lost the power to fight myself.  I ended up stopping two or three more times before I got home for more energy drinks (lots of sugar and calories) and snacks (ditto).  I was rewarded for my weakness when I stepped on the scale Monday morning and saw 272, almost exactly where I was a month ago.  To top it all off, Spring has finally sprung, so while I found it hard to breathe because of my poor decisions, I also had to deal with some pretty sever allergies kicking in.

272 was not and is not acceptable under any conditions, so I decided to get mad.  I was ready to get back out on the basketball court after the previous week provided limited opportunities to play with graduation hogging the gym.  We ended up having enough guys to go 5-on-5, which meant we were going full court, something I had yet to do.  I was excited for the challenge and was looking forward to the workout.  Unfortunately, it only took about half a game of pounding my body up and down the floor in new shoes before my legs gave out.  My shins started hurting so bad that I could barely walk.  I tried toughing it out, but just like my 5k (which coincidentally took place exactly one year to the day prior), my shins hurt to the point where I lost feeling in my feet.  I'm not sure if you've ever tried to run when your feet are asleep, but it isn't an easy thing to do.  I gutted out two games, but then subbed myself out and headed for the showers.  My legs hurt so bad that I could barely change shoes.  I ended up sitting in my cubicle with bags of ice on both shins, hoping the pain would go away.  I've mentioned this before, but there is nothing more frustrating than when your body doesn't cooperate with the drives and wants of your mind.  This was my Monday.

Monday night, my allergies/cold got progressively worse.  I started thinking that at least 5 lbs of the 272 could be attributed to snot. I ended up sleeping on my couch that night because I kept rolling on my back in bed and then choking and gagging.  I maybe got three hours of sleep, which paired with my two hours from two nights before left me feeling like death warmed over.  I decided to take a sick day on Tuesday to try to get my body back together.  I headed to the grocery store to restock on fruits, veggies, and decongestants.  I even decided to splurge and try some black bean veggie burgers, which turned out to be okay.  Not great, not awful, but when you hide it between a 100 calorie thin bun and a piece of pepper jack with some salsa sprinkled over it, it went down.  Anyway, I spent most of Tuesday pounding fluids and hoping the Claritin would kick in.  No such luck.  The past two days I've felt almost as bad, if not maybe a little worse than I did Tuesday.  I've been at work, but mostly just to spread my germs to as many people as humanly possible because I'm a sharer.  I'm hoping that it is just a sleep issue and that a down weekend will help me get back up for next week.  

Anyway, I'll hop on my scale tomorrow and see what the damage is.  I've stayed off the scale all week for fear that my bad behavior will show results that will just make me feel worse than I already do.  Two straight weeks of gains would mean that I have some heavy lifting to do in the next two weeks to keep on my path to reach my 30 lb target by October.  If I was a contestant on Biggest Loser, I feel like they'd be cutting to a commercial right before my weight was revealed and show Jillian and Bob gasping.  That's how up in the air this week could be.

Anyway, since my Monday post became a Thursday post, I promise to not keep you in the dark with the results.  I'll throw them up tomorrow morning.  Also, it isn't too late to pledge some per pound money to help out the American Heart Association!  We've had some big dollars rolling in, but I'm still going to be well short of my goal.  Plus, at the rate I'm going, I'm probably going to end up having to pay out money.  Just think...if you pledged $2 a pound and I lost 30, you'd be on the hook to a great organization for $60.  If you pledged $2 and I GAINED 30 lbs, you'd pocket a quick $60!  Folks, those are my kind of odds. 

Trying to live Claritin Clear,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment